Re: [O] Cooperating with oneself using the cloud?

From: Paul Rudin
Subject: Re: [O] Cooperating with oneself using the cloud?
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 08:09:54 +0000

Karl Voit <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi!
>
> * Christoph Groth <address@hidden> wrote:
>> If at least one of your computers can be reached from all the others via
>> ssh, or you can reach all the other computers from one (i.e. there’s a
>> star topology), you could use unison to synchronize all kinds of files.
>> This works very reliably and handles modifications in both directions.
>
> I can copy that.

I can't see the original post, but fwiw, I leave loads of stuff on a
Dropbox drive - this can include git repositories, so it's not an
alternative to using e.g. github, but in addition.

As long as you're the only person modifying stuff there are no problems
(that I've experienced) with working on multiple machines this way.

If you're worried about the security of services like Dropbox (or
interception between your machines and theirs) then you can combine this
with something like ecryptfs. Only the lower (encrypted) data is sent
over the wire to Dropbox. I understand that there are some services that
do this by default - the client itself does the encryption locally using
a key that does not get transmitted - before sending to the
cloud. You're completely *!%$£ if you forget your key, but that's
another story.