Re: [O] How to extract TODOs from date-tree

From: Jay Iyer
Subject: Re: [O] How to extract TODOs from date-tree
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 08:28:45 -0700

Thorsten Jolitz <address@hidden> writes:

> Jay Iyer <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi Thorsten,
>> The file entries are as follows and the task/note/project sub-heads
>> generally don't have active/inactive timestamps except when a
>> scheduling/deadline is specified.  Thanks.
>> ** 2014-10 October
>> *** 2014-10-01 Wednesday
>> **** TODO first task
>> **** General note entry
>> **** Project                  :prj:
>
> I just read the term 'datetree' again in another post, maybe I'm not
> up-to-date and it is idiomatic Org-mode use, then sorry for the noise ...

I don't think it's well documented (I couldn't find a reference in the
manual) or well supported. org-capture does provide for it (see the doc
for org-capture-templates) but afaict that's the only significant use of
it - org-agend uses it for diary-related stuff and org-archive has to be
able to archive it and that's it. The (rather thin) support for it is in
org-datetree.el.

If there are use cases out there, it might be worth collecting them and
then thinking about how to support them better. If there aren't, maybe
it should be thrown out.

--
Nick

I think removing support for date tree would be very disruptive, at least for me. Datetree is the fundamental structure of my Org files (I have two Org files: work and a personal journal) as I use capture templates for almost everything with the captured items filed neatly in the date trees and this structure provides a better sense of life flow for me.  I rely on Agenda and sparse trees to extract the info/tasks/projects list.  Please keep date tree intact.  Thank you.
-jay