Re: [O] Exponents / subscripts

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] Exponents / subscripts
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 11:54:58 +0200

Hi,

> Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Had preview-latex supported Org I'd maybe agree, but I disagree
>> strongly at this time.
>
> Patch welcome.

Cf. a recent thread on emacs.devel it's pretty non-trivial to make
preview-latex work outside of AUCTeX.

>> sub/superscript works well with entities and makes it very easy to
>> edit math and get approximate live feedback.
>
> Unfortunately, some users complain about the approximation. OTOH, I'm
> pretty sure that most LaTeX users can parse sub/superscript LaTeX code
> without any fontification at all.

Of course they can, but it takes more effort.  Compare:

(1)   \beta E_{t}[\sum_{j=t}^{T} z_{j}^{e}]
(2)   βE_{t}[∑_{j=t}^{T} z_{j}^{e}]
(3)   βEₜ[∑ⱼ₌ₜᵀzⱼᵉ]

(3) takes no effort to read, whereas the barebone (1) and the
entities-only (2) still take considerable amount of effort to parse
IMO.

>> IOW and IMO, the "bug", if any, is the fontification of superscript in
>> math.
>
> This is not Org's job since you're talking about a non-compatible
> syntax. I think it should be done in a different library (i.e., not
> "org.el"), if at all.

An external library is ideal (had it existed), but where to stop?  Are
entities wrapped in math "supported syntax"?
E.g. "$\alpha\beta\gamma\delta$".

> You want to implement a subset of Auctex. Either you delegate it to that
> major mode (à la Babel), at the price of some slowdown, or you duplicate
> code from it (i.e., `font-latex-match-script').

> In both cases, you need to know when point is on a math snippet or
> environment, which should rely on `org-element-context' if you're
> serious about it.

So your strategy would be to disable fontification within math (since
the syntax is not org), and delegate it to a separate library, say
tex-fold.el (which also doesn't work out-of-the-box in Org-buffers)?
In theory it's ideal, but consistency (e.g. supported entities) and
comparability is probably issues.

I know nothing on the technical level of fortification so I'm not sure
I could work on this issue efficiently.

> This doesn't solve the leak of Org's fontification on math snippets and
> environments.

But it would if you can delegate parsing of math to a separate
library, no?

—Rasmus

--
To err is human. To screw up 10⁶ times per second, you need a computer