Re: [O] Exponents / subscripts

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] Exponents / subscripts
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 22:06:53 +0200

> Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> writes:

>>> If you mean that a^bc should be equivalent to a^{b}c, then I think it is
>>> superior in its current state.
>>
>> As I understand Fabrice's mail, it's only about display of scripts in
>> Org buffers (when org-pretty-entities-include-sub-superscripts is
>> non-nil).  So rather than displaying
>>
>> (+)   \(a^nb^n\)
>>
>> as
>>
>>       \(aⁿᵇⁿ\)
>>
>> it would be displayed as
>>
>> (*)   \(aⁿbⁿ\)
>>
>> Of course, it /only/ makes sense to change how it is displayed in
>> math-mode, for which (*) is the more accurate depiction of (+).
>
> If we're talking about math mode, then I think no overlay should be
> added on them, and let `org-toggle-inline-images' display them
> correctly. IOW, \(a^nb^n\) should be displayed as \(a^nb^n\).
>
> It is, IMO, a bug in the current fontification, in which sub/superscript
> handling leaks over math snippets.

I disagree.

org-toggle-inline-images and fontification of *scripts is are
complements at best.

org-toggle-inline-images is slow and inconvenient for anything but
finished documents.  Had preview-latex supported Org I'd maybe agree,
but I disagree strongly at this time.

sub/superscript works well with entities and makes it very easy to
edit math and get approximate live feedback.

IOW and IMO, the "bug", if any, is the fontification of superscript in
math.

—Rasmus

--
To err is human. To screw up 10⁶ times per second, you need a computer