Re: [O] C-c C-y in currently clocked header

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: [O] C-c C-y in currently clocked header
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 08:58:18 +0200

On 2014-10-16, at 05:52, Daniel Clemente wrote:

>> > **** currently clocking
>> >     :CLOCK:
>> >     CLOCK: [2014-10-15 Wed 16:06]
>> >     CLOCK: [2014-10-13 Mon 11:23]--[2014-10-13 Mon 11:54] =>  0:31
>> >     :END:
>> >
>> > Now it's 16:26. If I put the cursor in 16:06 and press C-c C-y
>> > (org-evaluate-time-range), it would be useful to see in the minibuffer
>> > that the difference until now is 20 minutes.
>>
>> Saluton!
>>
>> Are you aware that you can set org-clock-mode-line-total to 'current?
>> (Personally, I only discovered it before a few hours, and set it to
>> 'today.)
>
> Yes, but you may want to see the current clocking duration independently of
> the settings of the current header. E.g. even if
> org-clock-mode-line-total==all, I want to see that my unclosed clocking
> amounts for 20 minutes.

Fair enough, I just wanted to make sure you knew about that variable.
(As I told, I wasn't aware of it until recently.  And the only reason I
learned about it, btw, was the thought "something like this /should/ be
possible", and it's Org-mode, after all, so obviously it was.

Notice that your proposed solution (while reasonable from the point of
view of how C-c C-y works) might be cumbersome – you'd need to go to the
place where you have the :LOGBOOK: drawer, open it, move to the first
line and hit C-c C-y.  A faster way to get the same information might be

C-c C-x C-o
[the info you wanted gets displayed in the echo area]
C-u C-c C-x C-i
1

if you don't mind splitting the clocking line in :LOGBOOK: into two.
(AFAIU, you also run into the risk of dropping one minute of clocking
time if you happen to do this at hh:mm:59 or something.)

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University