Re: [O] [RFC] Change property drawer syntax

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Change property drawer syntax
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 22:52:11 +0200

Hello,

Michael Brand <address@hidden> writes:

> My questions were misleading, I'm sorry. I should not have asked about
> "valid" and not have added a property drawer.

Actually valid/invalid is a bit strong. There is no such thing as
a syntax error in Org. However, Org may differ from your expectations in
some cases.

Instead of using "invalid", I'll describe what Org is supposed to see
and what you can expect.

> Rather I wanted to know when regarding only the agenda whether I can
> still postpone to make these examples valid:
>
>     * Yearly meeting
>       <2013-08-11 Sun>
>       <2014-12-21 Sun>
>       SCHEDULED: <2015-02-05 Thu>
>       <2015-09-20 Sun>
>       - SCHEDULED is used to remind to add a plain timestamp for the
>         meeting date in 2016 that will be published latest by
>         2015-02-05. SCHEDULED will be shifted for the next year after
>         that.
>     * Headline
>
> Will the invalid example above continue on the new branch
> top-properties to show also the SCHEDULED in the default agenda view?

Here, SCHEDULED keyword is not located right after the headline and,
therefore, loses its meaning. Org really sees

  * Yearly meeting
    <2013-08-11 Sun>
    <2014-12-21 Sun>
    xxxxxxxxxx <2015-02-05 Thu>
    <2015-09-20 Sun>
    xxx
    * Headline

In this case, 4 plain time-stamps should appear in the agenda. None of
them should be "scheduled". (org-entry-get (point) "SCHEDULED") will
return nil.

>     * Yearly task
>       DEADLINE: [2013-08-11 Sun -2d]
>       DEADLINE: <2014-12-21 Sun -2d>
>       SCHEDULED: <2015-02-05 Thu>
>       DEADLINE: <2015-09-20 Sun -2d>
>       - SCHEDULED is used to remind to add a DEADLINE for the due date
>         in 2016 that will be published latest by 2015-02-05. SCHEDULED
>         will be shifted for the next year after that.
>       - All past DEADLINE are inactive and document when the task had
>         to be done in the past.
>     * Headline
>
> Will the invalid example above continue on the new branch
> top-properties to show all three active timestamps in the default
> agenda view?

Here, DEADLINE is correctly located, but isn't followed by an active
time-stamp. It also loses its meaning, leading to:

  * Yearly task
    xxxxxxxxxx [2013-08-11 Sun -2d]
    xxxxxxxxxx <2014-12-21 Sun -2d>
    xxxxxxxxxx <2015-02-05 Thu>
    xxxxxxxxxx <2015-09-20 Sun -2d>
    xxx
    * Headline

The three active timestamps should appear in the agenda. None of them
should be either "scheduled" or "deadline". Both (org-entry-get (point)
"SCHEDULED") and (org-entry-get (point) "DEADLINE") will return nil.

If anything different happens, it is a bug. I don't know if that bug
still exists in "top-properties" branch. Anyway, I suggest to not count
on it, as it may be fixed, sooner or later.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou