Re: [O] [RFC] Change property drawer syntax

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Change property drawer syntax
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 21:38:38 +0200

Hello,

Michael Brand <address@hidden> writes:

> What about legacy multi line plain timestamp and planning info:
>
>     * Yearly meeting
>       <2013-09-22 Sun>
>       <2014-10-19 Sun>
>       SCHEDULED: <2015-01-01 Thu> Add next plain timestamp.
>       :PROPERTIES:
>       :KEY:      value
>       :END:

This is invalid, and has been so for a long time. Quoting first footnote
in (info "(org) Inserting deadline/schedule"):

  The ‘SCHEDULED’ and ‘DEADLINE’ dates are inserted on the line right
  below the headline. Don’t put any text between this line and the
  headline.

This footnote was inserted in c431fef47a7cbcc6ea79e3a945bc22cca4b4be96,
which is dating back from march 2011.

>     * Yearly task
>       DEADLINE: <2013-09-22 Sun -2d>
>       DEADLINE: <2014-10-19 Sun -2d>
>       SCHEDULED: <2015-01-01 Thu> Add next deadline.
>       :PROPERTIES:
>       :KEY:      value
>       :END:

This is also invalid, per the footnote above. Also, you cannot have some
text on the planning line.

> Will they also become invalid as I tend to understand?

They are already. My proposal doesn't change anything about it.

> Can they be reordered as
>
>     * Yearly meeting
>       SCHEDULED: <2015-01-01 Thu> Add next plain timestamp.
>       :PROPERTIES:
>       :KEY:      value
>       :END:
>       <2014-10-19 Sun>
>       <2013-09-22 Sun>

If you remove "Add next plain timestamp.", this is perfectly valid.

  * Yearly meeting
    SCHEDULED: <2015-01-01 Thu>
    :PROPERTIES:
    :KEY:      value
    :END:
    <2014-10-19 Sun>
    <2013-09-22 Sun>

> or will they have to be transformed into sub-headings like
>
>     * Yearly meeting
>       :PROPERTIES:
>       :KEY:      value
>       :END:
>     ** Yearly meeting - 2013
>        <2013-09-22 Sun>
>     ** Yearly meeting - 2014
>        <2014-10-19 Sun>
>     ** Yearly meeting - Add next plain timestamp
>        SCHEDULED: <2015-01-01 Thu>
>
>     * Yearly task
>       :PROPERTIES:
>       :KEY:      value
>       :END:
>     ** Yearly task - 2013
>        DEADLINE: <2013-09-22 Sun -2d>
>     ** Yearly task - 2014
>        DEADLINE: <2014-10-19 Sun -2d>
>     ** Yearly task - Add next deadline
>        SCHEDULED: <2015-01-01 Thu>

I don't understand this.

Again, there is one possible planning info line per entry. If there is
one, the property drawer has to be inserted right below it.  Otherwise,
it needs to be right after the headline itself.

This has nothing to do with plain timestamps, i.e., <2014-10-19 Sun> and
<2013-09-22 Sun> in your example.

I hope this is clearer now.

Regards,

--