Re: [O] Formal description of Org files

From: Gustav Wikström
Subject: Re: [O] Formal description of Org files
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2014 21:41:36 +0200

Hi!

> Just curious: what is it you wish to do in a mobile environment.  I have
> everything I need with MobileOrg and running full emacs + org on an
> OpenPandora.  Obviously, your needs may be different than mine.
>
> (email composed on train offline on my OpenPandora in Emacs with gnus ;-)
>
> --
> : Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.3.1, Org release_8.3beta-372-gdd70cf

My wish is to be able to do mostly everything related to
task-tracking, scheduling, working with references and so on. General
GTD stuff. OpenPandora sounds neat, except it's not quite the standard
tool available out there ;-) And a general idea of Emacs in your
pocket is nice, except it's not really possible without a different UI
than the keyboard. So; what way forward with GTD in Emacs Org-mode
then, while still having the wish of it to be more accessible?

Thus the idea of a more formal (and parsable) grammar in a
standardized format. My hope is that it will make Org-mode more
general than it already is. As I said already; Org-mode to me is more
than Emacs. To think BIG, Org-mode grammar could be a standard for PIM
or GTD related software. To think a bit less big, it might help
developers create software with non-Emacs tools. By using the formal
grammar to work with Org-mode source documents in more accessible
ways. Maybe with UI's available through mobile phones or tablets (and
without the use of special schedules of read/write in Emacs to keep
the mobile system synced; MobileOrg).

I have to admit I might be overstating the importance of Org-mode
formal grammar with this goal in mind. I haven't used EBNF-parsers and
don't really know how powerful they can be. Reading about those things
give high hopes though.

Best regards
Gustav