Re: [O] macro for iterating over headings and "doing things" with them

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] macro for iterating over headings and "doing things" with them
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 18:10:33 +0800

Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> Recently, with the help of emacs.help, I wrote a small macro called
> `org-iter-headings' (essentially a thin wrapper around
> `org-element-map') for iterating over the child headings in a subtree,
> and "doing something" with them. It's meant to be a quick-and-dirty,
> *scratch*-buffer convenience function, for when you have some regular
> data in a series of sibling headings, and want to use that data in a
> one-off way. So anything from mail merges, to quick collections of
> property values, to launching more complex per-heading processes.
>
> You call the macro on a subtree's parent, and the body of the macro is
> executed once for each child heading. In the macro body, the dynamic
> variables `head', `item', `todo', `tags', `log-items' and `body-pars'
> are bound appropriately (see the docstring below).
>
> For example, I occasionally evaluate a batch of manuscripts for a
> publishing house. Each child heading is a manuscript: the heading text
> is the title, the todo either "ACCEPT" or "REJECT", with my reasons in
> the todo state log. I might this information to the publishing house by
> calling the following on the parent heading:

I realized I might have made this example too complicated. You could use
this for something as simple as collecting the heading text of all
headings in a subtree:

(setq these-headings (org-iter-headings item))

Or, slightly more involved, adding up the :AMOUNT: property (a number)
of all the headings whose TODOs are not yet done:

(apply #'+
       (org-iter-headings
         (when (equal (car todo) 'todo)
           (string-to-number (org-element-property :AMOUNT head)))))

Eric