Re: [O] PATCH: org-mac-link.el: Don't fail on machines without Growl ins

From: Steve Purcell
Subject: Re: [O] PATCH: org-mac-link.el: Don't fail on machines without Growl installed
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 20:59:58 +0100

On 24 Sep 2014, at 20:13, Alan Schmitt <address@hidden> wrote:

> tell application "System Events"
>       set growlHelpers to the name of every process whose creator type
> contains "GRRR"
>       if (count of growlHelpers) > 0 then
>               set growlHelperApp to item 1 of growlHelpers
>       else
>               set growlHelperApp to ""
>       end if
> end tell
>
> I get an empty string as returned value. Is is the same for you?

Yes, that part works fine on its own even on my machine. But when the code
passed to AppleScript includes 'tell application “GrowlHelperApp”’, then the
code will not execute unless the app is present — there’s a precompilation step
where, presumably, AppleScript determines that the target application supports
the listed commands.

-Steve