Re: [O] update on missing :parameters in code blocks

From: Aaron Ecay
Subject: Re: [O] update on missing :parameters in code blocks
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 22:39:32 -0400

Hi John,

Look at the functions ‘org-babel-exp-src-block’ which calls
‘org-babel-exp-do-export’, which calls ‘org-babel-exp-code’.  The tl;dr
version is that indeed the babel export machinery does change the code
block in substantial ways, including the removal of parts of it.

This plays merry hell with the cache mechanism, as you might imagine
(different header args at different points -> the sha1 hash changes).  A
year or more ago I worked on a patch to overhaul this system.  I got
partway through before giving up, because it turned into a massive
undertaking and because it became clear that the cache mechanism would
not be very reliable/useful for my needs anyway.  But IMHO it remains an
imperfection in the interface between babel and the new parser, and it
might be possible to avoid the necessity of doing this sort of
destructive modification during export.  Along the way simplification of
the code might also be possible.

Let me know if you’re interested; I may be able to dig the old
half-patch out of a disused git branch somewhere.  It may have bitrotted
some, but it may also be useful.

--
Aaron Ecay