Re: [O] CV in orgmode for export to pdf (and html?)

From: Brady Trainor
Subject: Re: [O] CV in orgmode for export to pdf (and html?)
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 12:52:30 -0700

On 9/19/2014 2:18 AM, Rainer M Krug wrote:
Hi

- How do you do it (I don't assume you write your CVs in Word?), or are
you using LaTeX directly?

Nice question, I will enjoy reading all the examples in this thread.

For a bit, I tried to make org do everything, like export resumes to Word, Writer, LaTeX and ASCII from one tree. Eventually, I couldn't justify managing all the moving parts, but maybe one day...

So I abandoned the export to word processors, though I had succeeded in applying template files. Too much going on behind the scenes for me, and requests for Word resumes should be rare enough that I just have notes on how to quickly format a resume there. After all, with so many OS and fonts, sending a Word document across OS can have unpredictable results. PDF or plain text is the way to go. (Interpretive dance is okay too.)

And I did have a decent export to LaTeX resume from org, but after discovering moderncv, I've switched, though I will be curious to read others' methods of org-to-moderncv export.

But what I do still use is export to ASCII, as editing an ASCII resume layout is a pain. Here is the crux of my template for that

#+NAME: setup # I have no idea what this line is for, I found it on worg
#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :results silent :exports none
(setq org-ascii-headline-spacing '(0 . 1))
(setq org-ascii-inner-margin 5)
(setq org-ascii-underline '((ascii nil ?= nil)))
#+END_SRC

* resume :export:

#+BEGIN_CENTER
Brady Trainor\\
address@hidden -- (206) 898-4124
#+END_CENTER

** Experience
*** Jan 0000-Present     Position
Location\\
Job description.

... etc.

This is nice for sites that seem to prefer plain text, or demand it. I'm considering removing the centering, as some sites seem to remove the whitespace up to first character (B).

Brady