[O] inconsistency -- agenda, jump to specific day

From: hymie!
Subject: [O] inconsistency -- agenda, jump to specific day
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 14:46:09 +0000 (UTC)

So I think I found an inconsistency in the agenda and/or in the docs.
Maybe it's just my lack of understanding as usual, but here goes.

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601) of 2013-03-17 on MARVIN
Package: Org-mode version 8.2.7c (8.2.7c-dist @
c:/ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows/Start Menu/Programs/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/)

According to the docuemntation:
>v d or short d     (org-agenda-day-view)
>v w or short w     (org-agenda-week-view)
>v t     (org-agenda-fortnight-view)
>v m     (org-agenda-month-view)
>v y     (org-agenda-year-view)
>v SPC     (org-agenda-reset-view)
>    Switch to day/week/month/year view. When switching to day or
>    week view, this setting becomes the default for subsequent agenda
>    refreshes. Since month and year views are slow to create, they do not
>    become the default. A numeric prefix argument may be used to jump
>    directly to a specific day of the year, ISO week, month, or year,
>    respectively. For example, 32 d jumps to February 1st, 9 w to ISO
>    week number 9.

"d", however, does not work that way.  Using a numberic prefix before
"d" jumps to that specific day of the **month**, not of the year.
So when I'm looking at the current agenda (for week 15 Sep - 21 Sep),
"5d" takes me to Sept 5th, "26d" takes me to Sept 26th, 35d takes me
to October 5th (the 35th "day of September").

Note that the "current month" had changed, so now, "5d" takes me to
October 5th, not September 5th any more.  To me that's another
inconsistency, but I could see where it's a "feature" and not a "bug".

This is a problem for me because my employer actually **uses** Day Of Year.
So something happening today (19 sep 2014), I would log it as 2014-262.
Being able to jump directly to day 262 would be a very handy feature
for me.

Then, the documentation says
>When setting day, week, or month view, a year may be encoded in the
>prefix argument as well. For example, 200712 w will jump to week 12
>in 2007.  If such a year specification has only one or two digits,
>it will be mapped to the interval 1938-2037.

This does not work with day.  "1407w" indeed takes me to the 7th week of
2014.  From there, "1407d" takes me to December 8th 2017, which I haven't
counted but I think is the "1407th day of February 2014".

--hymie!    http://lactose.homelinux.net/~hymie    address@hidden