Re: [O] list of agenda files in a file

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] list of agenda files in a file
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 09:08:33 -0400

address@hidden writes:

> Eric S Fraga writes:
>>
>>>    (setq org-agenda-files (quote ("~/org/agenda.file.list")))
>>
>>which sets the variable to a list of one string, which is *not* what you
>>want.  Try
>>(setq org-agenda-files "~/org/agenda.file.list")
>
> Ohhhhh.  Thank you very much.
>
> I have and/or see things like this:
>      (setq org-tags-exclude-from-inheritance (quote ("crypt")))
>      org-agenda-span (quote month)
>      org-agenda-files (quote ("~/org/project.org"))
>
> and I know that "cons" makes a list.  I didn't realize that "quote"
> also makes a list.

`quote' does not make a list - it just prevents evaluation. It's the
inner parentheses you used that made it into a list.

(setq org-agenda-files (quote "~/org/agenda.file.list"))

would work fine, but since strings evaluate to themselves, the quote
is unnecessary in this case.

The point is that lisp generally evaluates arguments to function calls
*before* calling the function (there are things called "special forms"
that do not follow this general rule: e.g setq is a special form that
does not evaluate its first argument). So if you want to call a function
but not evaluate its argument, you have to quote the argument.

--
Nick