[O] Emacs server and org-protocol

From: Gonzalo Camarillo
Subject: [O] Emacs server and org-protocol
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 09:26:26 +0200

Hi,

I am using org-protocol to have my firefox browser talk to my emacs (to
capture stuff).

I am using Windows 7. So, I cannot use the --daemon flag to simply start
a sever (it is not supported under Windows). Instead, I have added a
(server-start) line to my .emacs file (init.el).

When I run emacs for the first time, everything works correctly (i.e.,
the server starts and I can connect to it from firefox). However, when I
open a second instance of emacs, it processes again the .emacs file and,
thus, I get the following error:

> Warning (server): Unable to start the Emacs server.
> There is an existing Emacs server, named "server".
> To start the server in this Emacs process, stop the existing
> server or call `M-x server-force-delete' to forcibly disconnect it.

Does anybody know a workaround so that the server is only started
once?... maybe in connection to opening a particular .org file?

Thanks,

Gonzalo