Re: [O] Getting lots of Emacs crashes

From: Doug Lewan
Subject: Re: [O] Getting lots of Emacs crashes
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 13:53:01 +0000

Noah,

You might consider running emacs under a debugger. It will trap the crash and
then you can ask where it happened, i.e. a stack trace. The information might
be of more interest to an emacs developer than to you.

GNU software should not crash. From the emacs info (a description of a typical
crash):
    If Emacs accesses an invalid memory location ("segmentation fault"), or
    exits with an operating system error message that indicates a problem
    in the program (as opposed to something like "disk full"), then it is
    certainly a bug.
The stack trace (along with all the other information that belongs in a bug
report) can be very helpful.

,Doug
Douglas Lewan
Shubert Ticketing
(201) 489-8600 ext 224 or ext 4335

"This is a slow pup," he said continuing his ascent.