Re: [O] Moving my init.el to Org

From: Oleh
Subject: Re: [O] Moving my init.el to Org
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 13:17:00 +0200

>> I'm using a one .el file per mode approach, with around 4000 lines
>> split into 40 files.
>>
>> This approach simplifies things a lot: for instance I haven't touched
>> Javascript in ages, but all my customizations for it are sitting in
>> javascript.el without getting in the way of the stuff that I'm using
>> now. They aren't even loaded unless I open a js file.
>
> Interesting - is your configuration online, so that one could take a
> look at it? I did not find them on your github page?

It's not online since it's a hassle to put it up.

> Or how do you do it, that the e.g. javascript.el is only loaded when a
> js file is opened? Because this is exactly what I would like to have.

It's a three-part setup that goes like this.
In hooks.el that's loaded unconditionally:

    (add-hook 'java-mode-hook 'oleh-java-hook)
    (add-hook 'tuareg-mode-hook 'oleh-tuareg-hook)
    (add-hook 'js-mode-hook 'oleh-javascript-hook)
    (add-hook 'markdown-mode-hook 'oleh-markdown-hook)

In modes/javascript.el that's not loaded:

    ;;;###autoload
    (defun oleh-javascript-hook ()
      (smart-insert-operator-hook)
      (moz-minor-mode 1)
      (define-key js-mode-map (kbd "<f5>") 'js-f5)
      (define-key js-mode-map (kbd "C-<f5>") 'js-C-f5)
      )

And this function generates the autoloads when a new file is added:

    ;;;###autoload
    (defun update-all-autoloads ()
      (interactive)
      (let ((generated-autoload-file (concat emacs.d "loaddefs.el")))
        (when (not (file-exists-p generated-autoload-file))
          (with-current-buffer (find-file-noselect generated-autoload-file)
            (insert ";;") ;; create the file with non-zero size to
appease autoload
            (save-buffer)))
        (mapcar #'update-directory-autoloads
                '("" "oleh" "oleh/modes" "matlab-emacs"))))

The file loaddefs.el is loaded unconditionally as well.  So when a js
file is opened, `js-mode-hook` is called and the autoloaded
`oleh-javascript-hook` is called, making sure that
"oleh/modes/javascript.el" is loaded.

regards,
Oleh