Re: [O] Normalizing tags

From: Christian Moe
Subject: Re: [O] Normalizing tags
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2014 09:06:50 +0200

Brett Witty writes:

> Hi,
>
> Has anyone made a module to normalize tags across your entire setup?

Not that I know of.

> That is if you have "Blog" and "blog" as tags, then you fix it as one
> or the other, or "hint" and "tip" tags being collapsed.
>
> If not, would people be interested in that?

There may not be a lot of demand for it since tags are bounded by colons
and can be easily search-replaced. Of course, a function that flags up
all the possible duplicates and queries you for the preferred form could
be a time-saver.

If you're planning to write one:

In addition to capitalization ("Blog"/"blog"), it would be useful to
look for English singular/plural ("blog"/"blogs") -- but let the user
beware ("aid" and "aids" may not be the same tag).

People tagging their documents in other languages might find some kind
of pattern-matching option helpful.

What I would find *really* nice, now that Org supports tag groups, is a
function to normalize old documents where entries are tagged with both a
group tag and its members. That is, given

  #+TAGS: { music : classical rock folk }

and a heading like

  * Woody Guthrie  :music:American:folk:

the function would remove the redundant group tag to yield

  * Woody Guthrie  :American:folk:

Yours,
Christian