Re: [O] Moving my init.el to Org

From: Jonathan Leech-Pepin
Subject: Re: [O] Moving my init.el to Org
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2014 08:52:28 -0400

Hello,

On 2 September 2014 08:42, Rasmus <address@hidden> wrote:
Rainer M Krug <address@hidden> writes:

> Oleh <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> I know that I could use org-babel-load-file, or outshine.  What are
>>> other possibilities?  What are the caveats (and advantages) of both
>>> (other?) ways?
>>
>> I'm using a one .el file per mode approach, with around 4000 lines
>> split into 40 files.
>>
>> This approach simplifies things a lot: for instance I haven't touched
>> _javascript_ in ages, but all my customizations for it are sitting in
>> _javascript_.el without getting in the way of the stuff that I'm using
>> now. They aren't even loaded unless I open a js file.
>
> Interesting - is your configuration online, so that one could take a
> look at it? I did not find them on your github page?
>
> Or how do you do it, that the e.g. _javascript_.el is only loaded when a
> js file is opened? Because this is exactly what I would like to have.

How about something like this:

(with-eval-after-load 'js-mode (load "_javascript_.el"))

Use eval-after-load if you are using an older Emacs.  Note I don't
know if there's anything called js-mode. . .

I've been using use-package (https://github.com/jwiegley/use-package) for only loading the various package-specific configurations when needed.

For that example it would be:

(use-package js-mode
  :mode ("\\.js\\'" . js-mode)
  :config (require '_javascript_) ;; or (load "_javascript_.el") if not provided
)

In my case it's still all in my init.el (with Outshine headings for each mode that use-package manages), but could easily extract the portions into their own files (especially for larger configurations like org)

Regards,
Jon