Re: [O] navi-search-and-switch fails

From: Alan Schmitt
Subject: Re: [O] navi-search-and-switch fails
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2014 18:50:02 +0200

On 2014-08-31 17:44, Thorsten Jolitz <address@hidden> writes:

> Alan Schmitt <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> (Thorsten asked me to repost this from github.)
>>
>> When calling navi-search-and-switch interactively, I get the following
>> backtrace:
>
> But when 'navi-search-and-switch' would have a bug, one could not use
> navi-mode at all ... and I use it all the time.

Yes, I imagine the problem comes from an interaction with something
else, but the code below does not seem to deal with the case where there
is no occur buffer.

>> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument stringp nil)
>>   navi-rename-buffer()
>>   navi-search-and-switch()
>>   call-interactively(navi-search-and-switch record nil)
>>   command-execute(navi-search-and-switch record)
>>
>> The problem seems to be with this code in navi-rename-buffer
>>
>> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>> (with-current-buffer
>>     (if (eq major-mode 'occur-mode) (current-buffer) (get-buffer "*Occur*"))
>> #+end_src
>>

>> As there is no "*Occur*" buffer, and the current buffer is in
>> emacs-lisp-mode, =(if (eq major-mode 'occur-mode) (current-buffer)
>> (get-buffer "*Occur*"))= returns nil and with-current-buffer fails.

> 1. Can you try 'navi-search-and-switch' on an org-mode buffer, with ->
> (eq major-mode 'org-mode), e.g.
>
> ,----
> | * ORG SCRATCH
> | ** 2nd Level
> | #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :cache no
> |  (+ 2 2)
> | #+END_SRC
> `----
>
> *Navi* buffer should pop-up, typing 2 should show both headlines.

Yes, it works with an org file.

> 2. Is there anything special about the outshine file you used?

It's an emacs-lisp file.

> Is it structured with outshine headers? is it emacs-lisp-mode?
> old-school or org-style headers?

Here is a simple example that fails for me:

;; * ORG SCRATCH
;; ** 2nd Level
(+ 2 2)

Alan