[O] Auto-encrypting/decrypting the whole org file with EasyPG

From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
Subject: [O] Auto-encrypting/decrypting the whole org file with EasyPG
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2014 14:15:19 -0500

Hi everyone,

I currently use org-crypt successfully to encrypt the contents of an org-mode entries. For some files though, it's more practical to just encrypt the whole file, and I followed the instructions here: http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/encrypting-files.html, but could not get it to work.

I've placed the org meta-data in a comment as the first line of the org file, like this

# -*- mode: org -*- -*- epa-file-encrypt-to: ("address@hidden") -*-

I'm loading org-epa and enabling like this:

(require 'epa-file)
(epa-file-enable)

And I made sure it was loaded by evaluating epa-file-enable. However, when I save the file, it doesn't encrypt it. I've cat'ed the file after saving it and it still shows the original unencrypted content. Am I missing something? Do I need to use a .gpg extension?

Version information:
* GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin11.4.2, Carbon Version 1.6.0 AppKit 1138.51) of 2014-04-03 on Yukikaze.local
* Org-mode version 8.2.5 (release_8.2.5 @ /Users/user/.emacs.d/vendor/org-mode/lisp/)
* OSX Mavericks

Thanks in advance,

--