Re: [O] where Babel looks for binaries?

From: Steven Arntson
Subject: Re: [O] where Babel looks for binaries?
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2014 18:18:27 -0700

Thorsten Jolitz <address@hidden> writes:

> Steven Arntson <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Thorsten Jolitz <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Maybe
>>>
>>> ,----[ C-h v ly-nix-ly-path RET ]

>>> `----
>>>
>>> ?
>>
>> I changed ly-nix-ly-path in ob-lilypond.el to "/usr/local/lilypond". I
>> restarted emacs, ran "ly-tangle" and again got the message of "no such
>> file or directory, /usr/bin/lilypond." But my change is still there in
>> the file, so it must be looking somewhere else, too?
>
> Thats because there is probably a compiled ob-lilypond.elc that wasn't
> updated and is loaded instead - right?
>
>> I also wonder: is it a good idea for me to be meddling in a file like
>> "ob-lilypond"? Will any changes I make be reverted when I get an update
>> from the emacs package manager?
>
> Not such a good idea, you should rather put
>
> ,----
> | (setq ly-nix-ly-path "/usr/local/lilypond")
> `----
>
> or whatever in your init file and revert the changes in
> ob-lilypond.el. If you want to hack the library, better clone its git
> repo and create your own branch for experimenting.
>
>> I am a beginner here, so thank you for your help!
>
> I would say try the above, i.e. restore ob-lilypond.el and set the
> variable in you init file. Alternatively you could delete the
> ob-lilypond.elc and the do M-x byte-compile-file on the modified
> ob-lilypond.el, but I would not recommend mess around in libraries for
> customizations.

I reverted the change to ob-lilypond.el and did as you suggested, adding

(setq ly-nix-ly-path "/usr/local/lilypond")

It's now looking in the right place, but still won't tangle the file
when I run ly-tangle. The message in the minibuffer is:

ly-compile-lilyfile: Searching for program: resource temporarily
unavailable, /usr/local/lilypond

The use of "temporarily" is certainly intriguing! I quit out of emacs
and restarted, but am still getting the message.

Thank you for all of your help. I feel like I'm inching forward here
... !