Re: [O] where Babel looks for binaries?

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: [O] where Babel looks for binaries?
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2014 00:04:00 +0200

Steven Arntson <address@hidden> writes:

> Thorsten Jolitz <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Steven Arntson <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> I'm using org-babel to enter lilypond code for music typesetting. I had
>>> an old version of lilypond from the Ubuntu repos installed in
>>> /usr/bin. This worked, but the version was getting old. I installed the
>>> latest stable version from the lilypond.org website, and it ended up in
>>> /usr/local. I removed (apt-get remove) the repo version. Now when I do
>>> ly-tangle, I get:
>>>
>>> ly-compile-lilyfile: Searching for program: no such file or directory,
>>> /usr/bin/lilypond
>>>
>>> I tried to "customize-variable" on "ly-compile-lilyfile" but there's
>>> no match.
>>>
>>> How do I change where org looks for this program?
>>
>> Maybe
>>
>> ,----[ C-h v ly-nix-ly-path RET ]
>> | ly-nix-ly-path is a variable defined in `ob-lilypond.el'.
>> | Its value is "/usr/bin/lilypond"
>> |
>> | Documentation:
>> | Not documented as a variable.
>> |
>> | [back]
>> `----
>>
>> ?
>
> I changed ly-nix-ly-path in ob-lilypond.el to "/usr/local/lilypond". I
> restarted emacs, ran "ly-tangle" and again got the message of "no such
> file or directory, /usr/bin/lilypond." But my change is still there in
> the file, so it must be looking somewhere else, too?

Thats because there is probably a compiled ob-lilypond.elc that wasn't
updated and is loaded instead - right?

> I also wonder: is it a good idea for me to be meddling in a file like
> "ob-lilypond"? Will any changes I make be reverted when I get an update
> from the emacs package manager?

Not such a good idea, you should rather put

,----
| (setq ly-nix-ly-path "/usr/local/lilypond")
`----

or whatever in your init file and revert the changes in
ob-lilypond.el. If you want to hack the library, better clone its git
repo and create your own branch for experimenting.

> I am a beginner here, so thank you for your help!

I would say try the above, i.e. restore ob-lilypond.el and set the
variable in you init file. Alternatively you could delete the
ob-lilypond.elc and the do M-x byte-compile-file on the modified
ob-lilypond.el, but I would not recommend mess around in libraries for
customizations.

--
cheers,
Thorsten