Re: [O] Org equivalent to \chapter*

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [O] Org equivalent to \chapter*
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2014 09:52:54 -1000

Aloha Rasmus,

Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:

> Thomas,
>
> address@hidden (Thomas S. Dye) writes:
>
>> Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:

>>> You would probably need some sort of filter for this.  Most certainly
>>> you will be able to find implementations on this list.
>>>
>>> Here's something from my init file that works with LaTeX.  Other
>>> formats such as txt and html are harder since Org generates section
>>> numbers and the TOC.
>>
>> Thanks for sharing this.  It will be useful for book authors.
>>
>> Do you think it is possible to write a general headline filter that
>> takes care of all the various LaTeX possibilities?
>
> I don't like *one* filter to rule them all.  Of course, if it's a
> collection of other function calls that is OK.  As your recent
> question showed execution order may matter,
> (e.g. with :ignoreheading:clearpage:).
>
> Of course it's possible to bundle a couple of filters generally useful
> for ox-latex and provide a "consistent" interface.  Alternatively, one
> could make a ox-latex+.el that provides a derived class with extra
> options. That's may be more work, and may be harder to hack.
>
> In fact Aaron started ox-extra.el, with the intention of providing
> "semi-official" extensions but Worg may be a better means of
> communication.
>
>> Right now Iʻm using tags to ignoreheading, clearpage, and newpage.
>> In addition to your nonum filter, Eric S. has a filter that gets rid
>> of a heading and promotes the content, which I havenʻt had occasion
>> to use, but also has its own tag.
>
> Yes, Eric has cool tree-based filter(s).  I want to study them more
> carefully.  Quite possibly, it's easier to provide elegant filters
> with trees.  For instance, you have direct access to the element
> representation.  In my filters I "hack" my way to this using
> text-properties.
>
>> From the LaTeX authorʻs point of view, it would be great to have a set
>> of tags (and options) that "just work."
>
> Would you want this as a derived class or filters?  Perhaps it's
> easier to have a derived class with an alternative headline
> function. . .
>
>> Do you (and others) think the "tag and filter" approach can achieve
>> this?  Or, are there too many moving parts to make it feasible?
>
> Yes.
>
> The ox-koma-script interface is basically controlled via tags.  I
> think it's nice.

Thanks for this useful overview and the pointers to good examples.

Iʻve been slowly building a set of filters and links that work for me,
but each new project differs a bit from the previous one and I have to
fiddle with the Org mode setup.  Iʻm eager to get to the place Iʻm at
with LaTeX, where I just jump in and start writing.

Thanks again for your help.

All the best,
Tom

--
T.S. Dye & Colleagues, Archaeologists
735 Bishop St, Suite 315, Honolulu, HI 96813