Re: [O] ANN: org-vcard. Export/import vCards. Backwards-compatible with

From: Gour
Subject: Re: [O] ANN: org-vcard. Export/import vCards. Backwards-compatible with org-contacts.el.
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2014 10:39:04 +0200

Alexis <address@hidden> writes:

> i don't think that's a dumb question at all!

Good. ;)

> My original motivation for developing org-vcard was to create part of a
> pipeline for synchronising contacts between Org and my smartphone.

That would be great!!

> (b) (i) i feel org-contacts.el, as it stands, is too inflexible. It's only
> aware of a relatively small number of properties, and extending this
> requires directly messing around in the org-contacts.el code. i feel
> that this has made it difficult to expand the list of properties
> available, as it basically requires everyone to agree on exactly what
> properties to add, and how.

I agree, but let me ask you what do you think about BBDB-v3? Many people
like it, but I must admit I haven't take closer look at it?

However, I wonder whether it's flexible enough to define one's own
properties of format of one's contact data and what about syncing?

> (b) (ii) Further to (b) (i), i feel people should be able to define
> their own properties, in their preferred language, without having to
> write code for this.

That's noble feature, indeed.

> (b) (iii) More generally, previous discussions on this topic on this
> list have convinced me that it's folly to expect everyone to agree on a
> single style for contacts in Org, and that what is needed is a system
> that can easily accommodate the development of new contact styles,
> potentially allowing an ecosystem/marketplace of styles to develop, with
> particularly popular styles being considered for inclusion by default in
> the system.

Sound very good and it seems it's obvious that such nice app as org-mode
needs some improvement in the way how the contacts are handled.

> Given all the above, yes, i would like to see org-vcard become the basis
> for an "Org contacts NG" system. (Which, to answer Feng Shu's question,
> would mean that the 'tree' style would be available by default in such a
> system.) Whether to actually take this approach, however, is something
> i'll let the community decide. :-)

I wish you all the best hoping org-mode users will find decent solution
for handling contacts soon.

Sincerely,
Gour

--
An intelligent person does not take part in the sources of misery,
which are due to contact with the material senses. O son of Kuntī,