Re: [O] Archive subtrees hierarchical (keep the parent structure)

From: Ken Mankoff
Subject: Re: [O] Archive subtrees hierarchical (keep the parent structure)
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2014 12:39:28 -0400

Hi Florian,

* On 2014-08-05 at 11:32, Florian Adamsky wrote:
>> This code looks useful and an improvement over the previous setup I
>> was
>> using. https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2014-05/msg01218.html
>>
>> Can you explain what else is needed for your code to work? Currently I
>> have
>
> No, just run M-x org-archive-subtree-hierarchical. I tried the code
> with the latest org-mode version 8.3beta and with emacs -q and in both
> cases it works without problems.
>
> However, if you set the following variable to the new function, it
> should work with the default keybinding for org-archive:
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
> (setq org-archive-default-command 'org-archive-subtree-hierarchical)
> #+END_SRC
>
> If you have any trouble, please give me a note.

You are correct that M-x org-archive-subtree-hierarchical works just
fine. But I can't get it to work with the default keybinding as you show
above.

C-c C-x C-s is my (the?) default keybinding for archiving
trees/subtrees.  Is this the correct keybinding?

When I describe that with C-h k C-c C-x C-s I see:

> C-c C-x C-s runs the command org-advertized-archive-subtree, which is
> an alias for `org-archive-subtree' in `org.el'.
>
> It is bound to C-c C-x C-s, <menu-bar> <Org> <Archive> <Move Subtree
> to Archive file>.
>
> (org-advertized-archive-subtree &optional FIND-DONE)

So I have tried mapping all of those to call the new function:

(setq org-archive-default-command 'org-archive-subtree-hierarchical)
(setq org-archive-subtree 'org-archive-subtree-hierarchical)
(setq org-advertized-archive-subtree 'org-archive-subtree-hierarchical)

But it still doesn't work. I can bind org-archive-subtree-hierarchical
directly to C-c C-x C-s, which will work. Is that the correct solution?

Thanks,

  -k.