Re: [O] [POLL] Syntax change: make \[...\] non-inline (+1)

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] [POLL] Syntax change: make \[...\] non-inline (+1)
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 13:17:20 -0400

Federico Beffa <address@hidden> writes:

> Who is entitled to vote? If I am then here is my vote in favor for the
> following reasons:
>
> 1. the construct \[...\] has been defined in LaTeX for equations which
> must stand out and therefore belong on separate lines. It would
> therefore make sense to conform to the borrowed syntax.

I don't quite understand why you are so gung-ho for this but the
following works fine:

\documentclass{article}

\begin{document}
This is a displayed \[ x = 3 \] equation.
\end{document}

So what exactly is the problem?

> 5. Existing documents are very easy to fix.

Backwards compatibility is important. It has been broken
before, for very good reasons, and even though it was done very
carefully, it still caused many problems (still does).
So I don't buy the "very easy to fix" part: it will bite somebody
two minutes before he/she has to make a presentation (or even during the
presentation - DAMHIKT).

Nick