Re: [O] Installing Org 8

From: SabreWolfy
Subject: Re: [O] Installing Org 8
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 13:55:59 +0000 (UTC)

I've wasted an entire day trying to upgrade to Org 8 under OS X :(

I'm using a modified version of Emacs, with ESS pre-installed. I've also
downloaded the latest 24.3.1 Emacs for OS X and tried with that.

In both cases, I am able to install Org 8 (20140730 now) via ELPA. It
installs to a local directory. However, when I restart Emacs and enter
'org-version', I am shown:

"Org-mode version 7.9.3f (release_7.9.3f-17-g7524ef @
/Users/macbookair/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140730/)"

It looks like the pre-installed version is taking precedence, but it is
showing the folder of the new version.

I tried deleting the pre-installed version of Org from the /Applications/...
folder, but then Emacs generates an error on start-up about not being able
to locate the org-latex file.

I did manage to install both the latest Org and ESS into the latest Emacs
24.3.1, but then Emacs was not able to open Bazaar VC files -- it could not
find the 'bzr' file (Bazaar is, of course, installed; the ESS-modified Emacs
can open Bazaar VC files).

As it stands now, I'm back to using the ESS-modified version of Emacs (as it
has ESS and bzr working) and have Org 8 installed via ELPA, but not working.

*Sigh*