Re: [O] proposal to have ignoreheading tags/properties

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] proposal to have ignoreheading tags/properties
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 00:01:28 +0200

> Hello,
>
> Bastien <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I suggest renaming ox-extra.el to ox-filters-extra.el and to have
>> org-mode/lisp/ox-filters.el for filters that are important enough
>> to be in core.
>>
>> I think Eric's filter is important enough to be in core, together
>> with an option to let users decide what tag should be used instead
>> of "ignore" (with "ignore" as a default).
>>
>> Filters are nice and not used enough, having some filters in core
>> can help teaching people how to use them.
>>
>> What do you all think?
>
> Filters are _not_ meant to be in core since they are hardly a generic
> solution for a class of problem. They are entry points for user-level
> hacking. Generic patches should operate at the parse tree level, not
> using regexps.
>
> Eric's filter, like any other filter, has flaws that cannot be fixed.
> Useful filters ought to be published in Worg, not included in core.

I agree with Nicolas, though I thought the inclusion was settled by
now.  Repeating myself upon the announcement of ox-extra.el¹:

    If it's helpful (enough) it should be ox.el, I guess, or
    ox-ENGINGE.el. . .  Parallel, semi-official extension to ox itself
    doesn't sound nice.

Worg → ox-filters is better IMO.  This would only become more true (in
my mind) if that — again IMO, horrendous — idea of splitting off
contrib is made into reality.

Cheers,
Rasmus

Footnotes:
¹   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2014-06/msg00813.html

--
I feel emotional landscapes they puzzle me