Re: [O] [POLL] Syntax change: make \[...\] non-inline

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] [POLL] Syntax change: make \[...\] non-inline
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 16:56:39 +0200

> The current proposal is to make them elements instead of objects in Org
> syntax (i.e, a `latex-environment' instead of a `latex-fragment').
> [...]
> WDYT?

I think it's a bad idea.

One can use
  \begin{EQUATION} · \end{EQUATION}
(where EQUATION is one's favorite math-construct) for that purpose.
With cdlatex, structure templates (org-structure-template-alist) or
key-chord.el it need not require much effort to insert such an
environment.  Thus, the pros seem trivial in my opinion.

OTOH, it's nice to have a inline display-math constructor, \[·\], and
the up-front cost of comparability-issues seems expensive.

Cheers,
Rasmus

--
The right to be left alone is a human right