Re: [O] org-contacts development

From: Karl Voit
Subject: Re: [O] org-contacts development
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 15:40:36 +0200

* Alexis <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi all,

Hi!

> What would be useful would be an 'official', fleshed-out spec for
> org-contacts data, which handles a greater range of contact-related
> info. At the moment, for example, my org-contacts file makes use of the
> properties:
>
> #+PROPERTY: LANDLINE
> #+PROPERTY: MOBILE
> #+PROPERTY: POST
> #+PROPERTY: RESIDENCE
>
> A search of this list's archives for references to 'org-contacts':
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=org-contacts&submit=Search!&idxname=emacs-orgmode&max=20&result=normal&sort=date%3Alate
>
> suggests that org-contacts is something people are using heavily enough
> that they're writing code, ad-hoc, to provide functionality they
> require, e.g.
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2013-11/msg00869.html

My current solution:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/57231/ and
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/75346/

> i'm wondering if it might now be appropriate for org-contacts to become
> part of org-mode proper, rather than simply a contrib, to reduce
> unnecessary duplication of efforts.

Absolutely.

Lacking any standard here, I created my own and meanwhile I do even
generate spam-filters and whitelist items out of my org-contacts
file. Also handy: when I filled out :ITOLDTHEM_EMAIL: my mail client
is using the specified "from"-email-address instead of my normal one
whenever I compose an email to this contact :-)

> Fleshing out an extended spec for org-contacts data could be part of the
> process of making org-contacts a first-class citizen of org-mode, and
> provide a more solid foundation on which people can build (and share)
> the org-contacts functionality they're after. And in my own particular
> case, it would greatly facilitate my work in org-contacts / Android
> Contacts integration. :-)
>
> What do people think?

Absolutely! I copy that.

My current yasnippet for a contact:

,----

`----

--
mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML to Org-mode:

https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode + more on github