Re: [O] Generating indexes

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Generating indexes
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2014 09:48:36 -0400

John Tait <address@hidden> writes:

> Is is possible to produce an index using lines beginning with #+INDEX
> in usual HTML or PDF export without setting up a publishing project?

It should be possible to use the machinery that publishing uses in the
HTML case, but I haven't tried.

For PDF, it is fairly easy: you have to add some stuff in the preamble
and then add a line to print the index - like this:

#+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{makeidx}
#+LATEX_HEADER: \makeindex

* foo
#+INDEX: this
this

#+LATEX: \printindex

You have to make sure that your org-latex-pdf-process runs the
makeindex program. I use texi2dvi and it does that automatically.
I presume latexmk would also. But if you use the default of "three calls
to pdflatex", you will need to modify it. Do

C-h v org-latex-pdf-process RET

for more info.
--
Nick