Re: [O] unwelcome tmp and ltxpng directories in my home

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] unwelcome tmp and ltxpng directories in my home
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2014 11:55:35 -0400

Joseph Vidal-Rosset <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>
> My O.S. is Debian GNU/Linux  testing version.  My desktop is mainly xfce (or
> openbox).
>
> In Gnus when I create png image via M-x org-preview-latex-fragment and after
> having M-x org-mime-htmlize  the png image is
> created in  /home/joseph/ltxpng directory and not in /ltxpng  directory.
> That's why when I try to send my message, I have an
> error message saying to me that the png image is not in ltxpng directory...
> of course, it is created not in the /tmp/ltxpng   but
> in /home/joseph/tmp/lxpng ....
>
> These unwelcome tmp  and ltxpng directories are created automatically in my
> home and I do not know why.
>
> I suspect a problem in my setup and not in org-mode, that is why I apologize
> is this email is irrelevant in this list. But maybe
> some Debian expert will be able to help me.

When you do org-preview-latex-fragment, a ltxpng subdirectory is created
under the directory that contains the org file. So if you have
/home/joseph/foo.org and you preview it, you are going to get
/home/joseph/ltxpng as a subdirectory. That is controlled by the setting
of org-latex-preview-ltxpng-directory however:

,----
| org-latex-preview-ltxpng-directory is a variable defined in `org.el'.
| Its value is "ltxpng/"
|
| Documentation:
| Path to store latex preview images.
| A relative path here creates many directories relative to the
| processed org files paths.  An absolute path puts all preview
| images at the same place.
`----

So you could customize it to store all the png files into /tmp/ltxpng
e.g.

No idea where the tmp/ directory comes from, but I don't think it's from
the preview.

Nick