Re: [O] still seeing semi-regular lockups

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] still seeing semi-regular lockups
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2014 10:01:10 +0200

Hello,

York Zhao <address@hidden> writes:

> Just suffered from extreme slowness. My Emacs had been running for about 1
> hour
> and I was having two org-mode buffers, one file has 3800 lines, 168 KB bytes.
> And the other has 76,600 lines, 4,267,327 KB bytes. Both files had been opened
> for awhile. Didn't have problem in the beginning, but then typing in the
> bigger
> buffer became extremely slow, took at least one to two seconds for a typed
> character to be displayed on the screen. Killed the buffer and then reopen it
> didn't help at all. At the same time typing in the other smaller buffer didn't
> have the same slowness issue. Restarted Emacs and the issue disappeared.
>
> One of the problem I have noticed for a long time is that org-mode could
> become
> slower and slower with use, which was exactly what I had been experiencing
> just
> now.

OK. If you experience it again, please do

  M-x org-element-cache-reset

in the slow buffer and see if it is responsive again.

Another interesting test would be to try reproducing the problem with
`org-element-use-cache'
set to nil.

I'm not totally sure this is related to the cache, as killing the buffer
should have solved the problem.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou