Re: [O] Problem with org-mode after upgradiing to org 8

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] Problem with org-mode after upgradiing to org 8
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2014 10:55:48 -0500

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 5:04 AM, Roland Everaert <address@hidden> wrote:
> I have upgraded using git on a Linux fedora 20 64 bit.
>
> I perform the following commands from the directory of org-mode:
>
> make clean
> git pull
> make

I usually do git pull > make clean > make, but don't know if that
makes a difference, so that's probably fine.

> I have also read the following page:
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-8.0.html
>
> And search for all variables in my configuration that start with org-export,
> but I have none of them.

Well, I'm interested in the original error, "Autoloading failed to
define function org-element-cache-reset", not anything to do with
org-export. You should be able to start emacs without any errors, and
I think that's the primary thing to troubleshoot first.

> My configuration is heavily inspired by this article:
> http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html

Bernt's page is one of the most advanced orgmode setups documented
that I've ever seen. I wouldn't get too deep into that before figuring
out what's going on at the basic level.

> I have quickly browsed it in case some specific changes needs to be done,
> but the only ones concernes the exporters that I have not configured yet.
>
> Which lines from the my ~/.emacs.d/init.el, would you like to see?

How are you telling Emacs where Orgmode lives? My suggestion would be
the following:

Create a minimal .emacs file with just the following (change path to
wherever your orgmode git repo is):

(add-to-list 'load-path "~/path/to/org.git/lisp/")

>From a command line, run:

$ emacs -Q

Then from Emacs, run:

M-x load-file [press enter] /path/to/minimal-config/from/above [press enter]

Then run:

M-x org-version

You should get something like this:

Org-mode version 8.2.6 (release_8.2.6-950-ge599e8 @
/home/jwhendy/.elisp/org.git/lisp/)

If you don't get any errors, close emacs, copy some lines from your
"real" config into that minimal config, and repeat the process (emacs
-Q -> M-x load-file...) until you get the error again. Then you'll
know what's causing it. Doing it this way helps know that you've at
least got the "right" Org-mode loaded (not the one built in to your
Emacs), and from there we can track the issue.

Once that's all set, getting exporters going is a pretty simple
matter. I have this in my .emacs:

(require 'ox-latex)
(require 'ox-html)
(require 'ox-beamer)
(require 'ox-md)
(require 'ox-odt)
(require 'ox-taskjuggler)

(add-to-list 'org-latex-classes
             '("beamer"
               "\\documentclass\[presentation\]\{beamer\}"
               ("\\section\{%s\}" . "\\section*\{%s\}")
               ("\\subsection\{%s\}" . "\\subsection*\{%s\}")
               ("\\subsubsection\{%s\}" . "\\subsubsection*\{%s\}")))

That handles it all for me.

Also, please keep cc'ing the Org list. They know much more than I do,
and as you provide more information can probably help you better than
I can as well.

Good luck!
John