Re: [O] Tables of contents for individual sections wanted -- will donate

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Tables of contents for individual sections wanted -- will donate
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2014 09:10:18 -0400

"D. C. Toedt" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi all --
>
> BACKGROUND:  I've been using org-mode to develop the Common Draft annotated
> collection of business contract clauses, in part for the law school course in
> contract drafting that I
> teach to third-year law students.  I've been posting the collection as a
> Creative Commons document at http://www.CommonDraft.org, and plan to expand
> and maintain it.
>
> QUESTION:  I'm currently using a single, multi-level table of contents (TOC)
> at the beginning of the document.  That ends up being a lot to scroll through
> to get to the first
> chapter.  I'd like instead to have:
>
>   * a one-level "master" TOC at the beginning of the document, listing and
> linking to just the articles (in contracts, "articles" are the same as
> "chapters" in books, that is, the
>     top-level sections); and
>
>   * at the beginning of each article, a TOC listing and linking to the
> subheadings within that article.

It's not a pure org solution, but I'd go this way:

o have each "article" in a separate org file - export each one to HTML
(that can be scripted easily) - you get the article TOCs for free.

o have a separate top-level org (or HTML) file that contains the TOC with
pointers to the "articles". The production of this file can be scripted
as well: get the #+TITLEs of each "article" file and turn them into
links.

The whole thing can be wrapped up in a Makefile to automate the process.

Navigation (prev/next/top) may be a problem but it shouldn't be too hard
either.
--
Nick