Re: [O] numbered equations in html export

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] numbered equations in html export
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2014 00:19:43 -0400

> Hello,
>
> Eric Schulte <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> All equations are numbered "1" when the attached example file is
>> exported to HTML.
>>
>> #+Title: Example
>>
>> * H1
>> See Equation [[the-first]],
>>
>> #+name: the-first
>> \begin{equation}
>> n_{i+1} = \frac{n_{i} (d-i) (e-1)}{(i+1)}
>> \end{equation}
>>
>> and also Equation [[the-second]].
>>
>> #+name: the-second
>> \begin{equation}
>> n_{0} = 1
>> \end{equation}
>
> Only captioned equations are numbered. Behaviour is undefined for other
> equations.

Why is this the default behavior?  It looks to me like even when they're
present captions on equations aren't displayed for HTML or LaTeX export.
Additionally I don't see why captions should be related to, or required
for, the numbering of equations.

In a related issue which I believe is more convincingly a bug; links to
equations (whether numbered or not, with or without captions) don't
actually point anywhere.  A link to the name is constructed, but no
anchor with the name is inserted into the page.

Would it make sense to change the current behavior as follows?

1. On HTML export all named equations are made into targets for a link
   based on their name.

2. All named and referenced equations are numbered.

Thanks,

--
Eric Schulte
https://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte