Re: [O] Babel-R vs. ESS

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: [O] Babel-R vs. ESS
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 11:33:18 +0200

Shiyuan <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi all,
> I am learning R and use Emacs to work with R. I googled around and I
> found two options: ESS and Org-R/Org-Babel.
> Babel speaks multiple languages( Any languages?-if we write some sort
> of parser, which I assume is not terribly difficult under Babel?).
>
> But if R is the primary language I would use, which option (Babel-R vs
> ESS) is more advisable? I do want a nice integration of
> graphics/source code into a paper/slides.
>
> Any suggestions/options are appreciated.

When you write a paper or slides Org(-Babel) is your best friend, I
would say. When its more about R programming with some sophisticated
documentation you could use outshine.el + outorg.el alternatively.

With Org, you are in a text-mode and have your (multi-language) code
'hidden' in source-blocks. For editing code, you switch to temporary
buffers in the programming-language mode.

With Outshine&Outorg, you are in a programming-mode (ESS[R]) and have
your documentation 'hidden' as comments. For editing (comment-) text,
you switch to a temporary edit buffer in org-mode.

I think there is even a third option, i.e. just using ESS[R] and nothing
else, I remember reading it has some multi-mode capabilities for
literate programming with sweave, but I'm not sure.

--
cheers,
Thorsten