Re: [O] unattractive list spacing in ox-html export

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] unattractive list spacing in ox-html export
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 19:10:30 +0200

Eric Schulte writes:
> My browser (recent Firefox) *does* place extra spacing around list
> elements with paragraphs (with no CSS).  I assume this is standard.  So
> regardless of what browsers should do, Org-mode should handle what they
> actually do.

That's what I was saying, or at least trying to.  Let's look at the
following document:

* Lists w/ parapraphs
** without paragraphs
   - some
   - short
   - list
   - entries
   This is after the list.
** with paragraphs
   - some
   - short
   - list
   - and a long entry

     with an extra paragraph.

     Plus a second one.
   - short entry
   This is after the list.

So, the standard CSS in the browser (which you can totally change at
least in Firefox) keeps list items together.  If it finds a paragraph in
the item, it adds paragraph spacing at the top and bottom.  If you put
an explicit first paragraph, then spacing will be added both above and
below that list item.  Begin and end of list seems to be handled
specially, but that is only a result of the margins applied to the list
element itself having the same (or larger) value as the ones for the
paragraph collapsing into the largest of these.

> I think consistency here is a win.  Maybe adding another rule to the
> Org-mode default CSS would make the situation even better, but
> personally I'm happy with the current look.

If you have truly long paragraphs that may be the case.  If there's only
one or two list items that don't fit on a single line, then this looks
horrible.  I still think you'd want to keep the list items separated
without extra margin and just add some extra space before explicit
paragraphs in a list (typographically an indentation would be
preferrable, but that doesn't look nice if there are consecutive
paragraphs that only span a single line).

That means the first paragraph should preferrably be implicit and
there should be an extra CSS rule

li>p { margin: .3em 0em 0em 0em /* or 1em for indent */; }

If your patch is kept, the CSS actually gets more complicated and needs
an extra

li>p:first-child {margin: 0em; }

which is probably not recognized by older browsers.

Regards,
Achim.