Re: [O] BEGIN_LATEX_HEADER [cont]

From: Aaron Ecay
Subject: Re: [O] BEGIN_LATEX_HEADER [cont]
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2014 20:42:39 -0400

Hi Nicolas,

2014ko ekainak 21an, Nicolas Goaziou-ek idatzi zuen:

> Hello,
>
> Aaron Ecay <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> The first is that editing non-trivial latex code embedded in an elisp
>> string quickly becomes tedious, whereas it’s much pleasanter in org
>> using org-edit-special, syntax highlighting of src blocks, etc.
>
> This is a no-op since you only do it a limited number of times, i.e.
> once for each document type.

If you do it once, then it’s not a no-op, by definition.  I think you
mean that you disagree in the amount which you weight this as a concern,
which is a reasonable opinion to have.  But phrasing it in the way you
did is inaccurate and rather curt.

FWIW, in my experience latex (or any) code rarely flows from mind to
keyboard perfectly in the first attempt; there is some period of
revision, during which convenient editing matters.

>> The second is that it’s impossible to share without distributing elisp
>> code.  From the twin standpoints of reproducible research and security,
>> I think org ought to maximize the degree to which export use cases are
>> sharable without resorting to executing elisp code.
>
> This is also a no-op. You cannot be serious about reproducible research
> if you don't share `org-export-async-init-file' anyway.

This is also not true (or it’s some kind of value judgment).  Org’s
default settings + #+bind + local variables can do quite a bit.

> Eventually, if you insist on writing your full preamble within the
> document, you can start to write it in a LaTeX-mode buffer, copy it in
> your Org document and add "#+LATEX_HEADER: " in front of each line.
> This last step is done easily with `string-rectangle' (C-x r t).

This is basically making the user do (something like) org-edit-special
manually.  It can probably be automated somewhat – I’ll work on a patch.

Thanks,

--
Aaron Ecay