Re: [O] [bug?] Tramp tries to open remote file links

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: [O] [bug?] Tramp tries to open remote file links
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 12:14:23 +0200

Sebastien Vauban <sva-news-D0wtAvR13HarG/address@hidden>
writes:

> Hello,

Hi Sebastien,

> When I just open an Org file that has a link to a remote file, Tramp
> tries to open it, leading to errors and timeouts when offline, at least.
>
> * References
>
> Some files of interest:
>
> [[file:/address@hidden:papers/current.pdf][paper]]
>
> Errors:
>
>   ╭────
>   │ Tramp: Opening connection for
> address@hidden using plink...
>   │ Tramp: Sending command `plink -l me -ssh -t somewhere.org " env
> 'TERM=dumb' 'PROMPT_COMMAND=' 'PS1=#$ ' /bin/sh " && exit || exit'
>   │ Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell...
>   │ Tramp failed to connect.  If this happens repeatedly, try
>   │     `M-x tramp-cleanup-this-connection'
>   │ Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell...failed
>   │ Tramp: Opening connection for
> address@hidden using plink...failed
>   ╰────
>
> Is this supposed to be normal?  Why does Tramp open the file?

Because Tramp has been instructed so? I suppose, following the above
link results in

(insert-file-contents "/address@hidden:papers/current.pdf")

This is remote file name syntax, and Tramp tries to do its job, using
the default method "plink". You could avoid Tramp's reaction by a link
like (untested)

[[file:/:/address@hidden:papers/current.pdf][paper]]

Alternatively, you could choose another file name.

> Best regards,
>   Seb

Best regards, Michael.