[O] formatted index entries

From: Nicolas Berthier
Subject: [O] formatted index entries
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 10:00:05 +0200

Hello,

In an org file, I would like to add formatted index entries "=word=",
"!word" or similar things, possibly in a hierarchical way as sub entries
(I know it's a very peculiar use case, but it turns out that I would
appreciate having this feature for writing a technical manual). e.g,
something in the spirit of:

# verbatim entry:
#+INDEX: =word=
#+INDEX: category!=word=
#
# verbatim entry with an exclamation mark:
#+INDEX: =!word=
#+INDEX: category!=!word=
#
# or even, let's be audacious: formatted code as an entry:
#+INDEX: src_emacs-list[:exports code](let)

Using the current development branch of Org mode, exporting to HTML
works fine for the verbatim case, yet index entries do not seem to be
treated as Org elements when exporting to LaTeX: index entries are named
"=word=". Also, exclamation marks are category delimiters (as in LaTeX),
hence the cases makes Org insert extra categories named "=", and adds
entries "word=" in them (both in HTML and LaTeX).

This topic has already been discussed on this list before
( http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/41442 ), but apparently
this feature is not (yet?) available in org ≥ 8.0.

Has it already been implemented by somebody somewhere? Any further
thoughts on that point?

Best regards,
  Nicolas

--
Nicolas Berthier                                        FSF Member #7975