Re: [O] proposal to have ignoreheading tags/properties

From: Mark Edgington
Subject: Re: [O] proposal to have ignoreheading tags/properties
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2014 16:48:58 +0000 (UTC)

Nicolas Goaziou <mail <at> nicolasgoaziou.fr> writes:

> Actually, the problem is deeper than that. This :inline: tag is just
> a convoluted way to ask for a positive answer to another FAQ: « Can
> I close an outline section without starting a new section? »
> (http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#closing-outline-sections). Indeed,
> allowing :include: tags is equivalent to allowing to close sections
> before the next one, at least at the export level:
>
>   * Section one
>
>   Some text
>
>   ** Subsection one
>
>   Some text
>
>   ** Subsection two
>
>   Some text
>
>   ** end Subsection Two
  :inline:

>   Continue text in section one.

If I understand your example correctly, it seems like you are assuming that
the :inline: tag should promote a section's contents to the level *above*
the level of the section having the :inline: tag.  To me this behavior
doesn't make sense, and that's also not what I would expect such a tag to do
-- instead, the section's text (anything which comes before the next
headline at any level) should be merged with the text of the nearest
preceding headline.  Then all nested headlines contained in the :inline:
section should be promoted.

It is true that this could sometimes be confusing.  For example:

  * A
  text1
  ** B
  text2
  * C  :inline:
  text3
  ** D
  text 4

would get treated like:

  * A
  text1
  ** B
  text2
  text3
  * D
  text 4

In this case, one would likely omit 'text3' from the first part of the
example, since it doesn't make much sense to have it there.  For the most
part, though, it would be a behavior that makes sense (e.g. if "* C" were
replaced with "** C" in the example).

It may be that "inline" isn't the best word to describe this behavior, which
is why something with "ignore" or "promotechildren" has been mentioned.