Re: [O] proposal to have ignoreheading tags/properties

From: Ken Mankoff
Subject: Re: [O] proposal to have ignoreheading tags/properties
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 15:26:42 -0400

On 2014-06-12 at 15:21, Nicolas Girard wrote:
> I also ran across this need. What I had in mind was that certain todo
> types would be treated as inline.
> Such a feature is more generic and would be useful in other contexts ;
> and the LaTeX-related issues discussed in this thread would be solved
> using something like

> * INLINE appendix
>   \appendix
> * Appendix 1

In your example, I cannot collapse "* Appendix 1 "under "INLINE
appendix". I need to add a "*" to it, and it is now at the incorrect
level when exporting. There is no point in having the "INLINE appendix"
here.

I'm not sure how this feature using TODO keywords is "more generic"
(also, more generic than what?). TODO types have a very specific
functionality, and I think one can only have 1 TODO type. So if you
wanted to have

* INLINE TODO foo
or
* WAITING INLINE bar

It would not work.

Implementing this feature as tags allows one to use existing TODO
items. Tags are already a more generic item so adding a new behavior
isn't that dramatic (and is it new? :noexport: already exists), and
multiple tags are supported. It seems a better place for the
implementation.

I vote for the following tags:

+ :noexport: Does not export item, content, and children.
+ :ignoreheading: Does not export heading. Exports content and children.
+ :ignorecontent: Does not export heading or content. Does export children.
+ :ignorebranch: Does not export heading, content, or children.
+ :promotesubheadings: Promotes children headings, regardless of
  exporting this heading or not

Note that :ignorebranch: is the same as ":noexport" but is a more
consistent naming scheme. Ignoring and promotion are two separate items
and can be used together or exclusively for maximum number of export
behaviors.

In this case, a modified version of your example might look like this:

* Appendix      :ignoreheading:promotesubheadings:
  \appendix
** Appendix 1
** Appendix 2

  -k.