[O] org-mode and/versus make/makefiles

From: Greg Minshall
Subject: [O] org-mode and/versus make/makefiles
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 22:24:57 +0300

hi, all.

if this is out of scope, or likely to be too much of a rat hole, please
let me know (and otherwise ignore).

occasionally, i work on something complicated enough that i feel the
need of using make to manage dependencies, allow for cleaning up working
directories (via "make clean" functionality), and generally organize the
structure of my project (by forcing me to specify the various input
files, output files ("targets"), and processes).

but, when this happens, i have a hard time splitting the
responsibilities for various parts of my build process between the
makefile and the .org file.  for example, i very much like writing small
scripts in my .org file, rather than as stand-alone files.  but, then if
i decide to migrate the output of that script to the makefile, i have to
split out the script to a separate file (and thus lose, or obfuscate,
whatever version control history i have of that script).

as another example, occasionally i feel i should have the .org file call
out to the makefile, either to build something, or to retrieve some
shared parameter (second-normal-form obsessiveness).  or, have the
makefile call the .org file, via some mechanism i've not explored, for
similar reasons.  then, if i have one calling the other calling the
first...

i'm wondering if anyone else, having wrestled with these issues, has any
recipes for some approximation of happiness.  or, some totally different
approach i'm too set in my ways to see.

cheers, Greg Minshall