Re: [O] Include TODO for once-off events?

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] Include TODO for once-off events?
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 21:15:18 +0800

SabreWolfy <address@hidden> writes:

> I use the following to include once-off events in my Agenda:
>
> * Once-Off Task
> <2014-06-11 Wed 09:00>
>

> What is the difference (benefit) to rather doing this:
>
> * TODO Once-Off Task
> <2014-06-11 Wed 09:00>
>
> The second method gives me a red "TODO" in the Agenda and allows me to mark
> the task as "DONE". Is that the primary reason for using "TODO"? If the
> state of a task is not important, there is no need to include "TODO"?

Yup, if you don't care about keeping track of the state of the task,
there's not much point in using the todo keyword. But generally I think
people use plain headlines + timestamps (no keyword) to keep track of
_events_, and headlines plus a keyword to keep track of _tasks_. If it's
a task that needs doing until it's done, then use a keyword, if only for
the satisfaction of marking it finished.

More to the point, the Agenda will only show you not-done todos --
picking and choosing what you want displayed in your agenda is one of
the main reasons for using todo keywords. If it's just something like a
meteor shower that will come and go, there's nothing for you to do, and
hence no need for a todo keyword.