Re: [O] Bug: Italics support fails after non-breaking space [8.2.6 (8.2.

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: Italics support fails after non-breaking space [8.2.6 (8.2.6-67-g9e09b2-elpa @ /home/crculver/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/)]
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2014 09:51:14 +0800

Christopher Culver <address@hidden> writes:

> Remember to cover the basics, that is, what you expected to happen and
> what in fact did happen.  You don't know how to make a good report?  See
>
>      http://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html#Feedback
>
> Your bug report will be posted to the Org-mode mailing list.
>
> The code for changing the font face to italics assumes that the opening
> slash in text surrounded by /.../ will be preceded by a plain
> space. However, authors preparing documents with LaTeX or HTML output in
> mind may employ a non-breaking space before the text in italics (the
> Unicode character U+00A0 NO-BREAK SPACE).
>
> I encountered this bug with the text "Fi. /mennä/", where the only space
> is a non-breaking space (as it must be in any output to a typesetter for
> my needs). Emacs keeps the text within slashes in the normal font face
> instead of changing it to italics.

Check the variable org-emphasis-regexp-components -- the first two
elements specify what characters are allowed before and after an
emphasis delimiter. You could add the non-breaking space to both of
those elements, and it ought to work. I can't speak to potental gotchas
that might arise because of this, or whether this ought to be part of
the default value...

Hope that helps,
Eric