Re: [O] Insert calc vector directly into spreadsheet cells?

From: Steven Adrian
Subject: Re: [O] Insert calc vector directly into spreadsheet cells?
Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 15:39:14 -0400

Michael,

This is great. I wish I had seen this earlier. I did not know about the subscr
function, but I had basically gotten to the same point by writing an equivalent
custom calc function.

I understand that using a  calc function in a table formula is inefficient,
since it is executed for every table cell.  But for small tables, I think the
combination of table formulas and calc functions is extremely powerful. Here
are two examples of mine:

1. I wrote a custom calc function called tailsInARow that uses the calc random
function to simulate a coin toss and return the number of tails in a row. I
used this function to fill a 20x20 table of values. I then used the calc
histogram function in a table formula to read the table values, histogram the
number of tails in a row, then write the histogram to a new table.

2. I calculated a rotation matrix as a succession of individual rotations about
x, y, and z axes. I then wrote the resulting matrix to a table. I then wrote a
table function to read the matrix, take the inverse, and write the result to a
new table.

I think calc is well suited for small problems like this for which I want to
have a record of what I did later. But I am always looking for better
approaches, if you have any to suggest.

Steven