Re: [O] Writing .el files for org in org?

From: Rainer M Krug
Subject: Re: [O] Writing .el files for org in org?
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 10:12:09 +0200

Aaron Ecay <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Rainer,
>
> I have wondered about what you suggest as well, from the point of view
> of trying to modify the long pieces of R code which are embedded in
> strings in ob-R.el.  I think this would be easier if they could be
> tangled from R code blocks in an org file.  So from that point of view
> the idea has a +1 from me.

That is one aspect am looking at (independent of the org file question)
at the moment, to make the R code more configurable. My approach is to

a) have it in a emacs string variables which can be customized, or
b) in an R file which is loaded and used instead of the definition in
the variable. If you are interested, please see my org [1] and ess [2]
which, at the moment, have to be used together, as I am "outsourcing"
the loading at the moment to ESS.

Concerning putting them in an org file, I don't see a real advantage
here, unless the ob-R.el is also in an org file.

> I am not so convinced that having all the elisp code in an org file
> would be convenient, since I am worried that would break the interactive
> features of elisp programming.  (edebug, find-function, paredit, ...).
> But if you are doing the experiment, I would be glad to see what you
> come up with: the benefits might turn out to be worth the potential
> drawbacks.

I am not thinking about having the org files used for actual running
org, but rather as a tool to write the code. The workflow would be then:

1) in the org file, write the code for ob-R.el including documentation
2) tangle the file to ob-R.el
3) debug ob-R.el - in R
4) untangle the edits back into the ob-R.org file
5) done

So the tools for debugging would be still working on the .el file.

Rainer

> --
> Aaron Ecay

Footnotes: