Re: [O] emacs24-starter-kit and Aquamacs 3.0

From: Rick Frankel
Subject: Re: [O] emacs24-starter-kit and Aquamacs 3.0
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 09:01:48 -0400

On 2014-05-15 07:59, Axel Kielhorn wrote:
I never wanted to learn Emacs.
There is probably a more elegant way to add a /.emacs.d to the path
when the editor is Aquamacs, but I have to learn some elisp for that.

Or a way to tell Aquamacs to use a different init file.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Probably not the answer you want, but as a long-time mac and emacs
user, my suggestion would be to use the vanilla os x version of emacs.

IMHO, there is no longer any compelling reason to use aquamacs. It was
started at a time when the core gnu emacs did not support os x, this
is no longer the case.

The "nextstep" build of emacs runs as a native app, supports
anti-aliased fonts, etc. Personally, i find that the keyboard
rebinding in aquamacs just make it it harder to use/learn emacs, as
all the documentation, etc, is based on the standard, cross-platform
bindings. Once you learn them, you will be able to use emacs on any
platform -- mac, windows, unix. Also, your configuration will be
portable across all the same platforms.

rick